What Farmers Wish You Knew About Farmers

From 'farming is easy' to 'farmers are rich,' there are a million things consumers think they know about farmers. We asked our amazing farm community what the one thing they wish people knew about farmers. These are the responses.

Farmers are smart! They have to be everything - plumbers, carpenters, mechanics, scientists, vets and more. Every day!

Farming is a lifestyle, not a job. It's 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Every day of the year. It's almost impossible to take a vacation, especially if you have animals.

Some farmers have to have jobs off the farm to make ends meet, but they still wouldn't trade it for anything.

Farmers love and care for their animals - even the ones people eat.

Being a farm mom means working with your husband, raising your children, working in the fields, cooking for a crew, caring for the animals and more. It's a full time job!

Farmers are not millionaires.

Farmers are the heart and backbone of America. They work from sun up to sun down to put food on the tables across America and beyond. They love their job and their country.

Farmers are some of the hardest working people out there.

Farmers do more than just what people see growing in the fields. It's not a vacation between seasons.

Farmers make do. They can deal with finances, too much rain, a drought, etc. They keep their heads up.

That farming can be a thankless job but we all keep going because it's the job we love and we can't imagine doing anything else.

That the farm is the best place in the world to raise children.

That farmers are the ultimate gamblers! It is an unpredictable field.

Farmers struggle with making time for everything. When you can't clock in and out, there's always something that needs attention. Sometimes your relationships suffer because of it.

Farmers have faith and passion over anything else.

Farmers are some of the most loyal and genuine people you can meet.

Chores always come before fun.

We love what we do! We might 'spoil' our animals before we would ever buy ourselves a new pair of jeans, but we like it that way.

We aren't ornery…we are just tired.

Farmers know that it's frustrating to be behind their equipment on a country road, but they also want everyone to get to their destination safely.

There is never a dull moment when you are a farmer.

Farmers are smart and educated. They run the tractor and they also run the books!

They smile with their mouths closed to avoid getting flies in their mouths.

Farmers are rich in life lessons, not money. They sacrifice a lot.

You never get a day off! Rain, snow, hail, 100 degree heat, holidays, weekends - doesn't matter!

Farmers farm for their families and they also farm for other people. They want to feed people. It's their passion!

Passing on this trade and this life to the next generation is a top priority.

Farming isn't easy! If it was easy, everyone would do it!

Last but certainly not least…YES! WOMEN FARM!

Comments

Lisa Hebert - Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 5:07:48 PM
We Rice,Soybean and Crawfish farmer!!! An everyday is a struggle!! The price of Rice is so low don't know how any of us can make it!! All we can do is pray that it gets better!!:)
heidi - Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 8:00:58 PM
I couldn't of said it better myself!!!
Connie - Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 8:06:34 PM
Enjoy your food, farmers grew it!
Tina - Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 10:16:45 PM
I loved this!!! From our farm life to yours!!!
rush - Friday, July 17, 2015 at 5:44:28 PM
Don't forget the ever popular, "farming is such a simple life" Only ever said by city people! :)
jean - Sunday, July 19, 2015 at 4:44:52 PM
I am engaged to a farmer he plants vegatables when it comes time to pick them or plant them I hardly get to see him but if it wasn't for the farmers we wouldn't have our vegatables .
Joe Kiihne - Sunday, July 19, 2015 at 7:57:25 PM
I THANK GOD for farmerS NO FARMERS NO FOODS @ no SUPPLES GOD BLESSSSSSS ALLLLLLLLL Joe Farmer Boy
Carol - Monday, July 20, 2015 at 4:51:01 PM
I grew up a farmer's daughter. I know first hand that farming is hard work.
Ever see 7' green stocks of corn after a hail storm beats it down to 7" stubs! Then see a grown man cry, because his crop was ruined. 7 minutes is all it took!
Kay - Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 8:18:26 PM
It said in this article that Farmers are some of the hardest workers they know. After growing up on a farm, and going on to live and work in the city, I think I can safely say FARMERS AND THEIR FAMILIES ARE THE HARDEST WORKERS OF ALL. There is NO rest on a farm, only if you are seriously hurt or ill. -Enough said
Kim - Friday, September 11, 2015 at 11:53:12 AM
I was wondering if there is a list of thing a man who is going to marry a farm woman should know. When he is a city man! Thanks
Pink Tractor - Friday, September 11, 2015 at 12:13:57 PM
Kim - here's the list about marrying a city guy! http://pinktractor.com/blog/2015/6/16/farmgirltips-you-married-a-city-boy.aspx
Helen - Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 11:33:09 AM
I've been farming and ranching over 60 years love the way my life has been. It's worth working for seeing new calves being born and watching them top the market at selling time, and your crops mature ready for harvest harvesting without bad weather conditions!!
Denise Foor - Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 9:58:35 PM
I grew up on a farm...my dad,is still at 76 years old farming everyday... I am lucky to work on the farm with him.my dad is the strongest man I know...thru good and bad years on the farm he has continued to smile and love the farm life ....and is very PROUD to be a FARMER!
bobbie - Monday, October 5, 2015 at 10:31:11 AM
We farmers (all shapes and sizes, colors too!) Are stewards of the land.
revd susannah metz - Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 4:36:25 AM
Same is true for us farmers in England! There's nothing like being a farmer!!
dave eichelberger - Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 8:32:53 PM
farmers are the backbone of the county
Judy - Friday, January 1, 2016 at 3:08:38 AM
Please add: farmers do not "vacation" during winter. We work in rain, snow, ice, subfreezing temps, blizzards.
Robin - Monday, January 25, 2016 at 6:39:37 AM
My boyfriend has been a farmer his entire life. He is the smartest most hard working person I know and he loves every minute of farming. In order to be a farmer you have to have alot of patience... God Bless the Farmers
TED FINKBEINER - Monday, January 25, 2016 at 9:13:27 AM
I grew up on a 12 acre farm.I chose to farm at 17.I leased 342 acres and planted all to alfalfa. I transitioned to a day job @ nuclear project,college @ night, to being an auto/truck dealer. my most fulfilling experiences have been my relationships with fruit growers,farmers, and dry land wheat growers, farmers for 50+ years.
Krista Young-podany - Monday, January 25, 2016 at 5:52:07 PM
today the weather is sleet and ice and snow. Tough day to be out.. we dress up properly and go out and tend to our livestock. They still need feed and watered and bedded up..
Thomas Osborn - Monday, January 25, 2016 at 8:24:27 PM
i left the farm when I was19. And when I retired in 2008 I couldn't wait to get back on the farm. Retired and can't vacation because I love what I'm doing too much.
Lorraine - Monday, January 25, 2016 at 9:38:03 PM
I respect & have pride for EVERY Farmer & continue to ask God to Bless them all!
Mike landry - Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at 8:59:04 AM
So True Farmer all my life wouldn't change a thingng
Kevin - Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at 1:38:58 PM
Children on farms aren't working as free labor to help their parents make a living......they're part of America's families, working together to make a life.

And in regards to all the GMO, chemicals, antibiotics, etc., we feed our families the same food we produce for you. If it wasn't safe, we wouldn't use it.
Kala - Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at 4:17:56 PM
Ladies, dont be scared to learn to farm. Some of the best times my husband and I have had is together on the farm. Doing what needs to be done ,TOGETHER! Learning to work together strengthens your relationship.
Laura Maciel - Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 12:40:02 AM
When you walk thru your fields and see the beautiful veggies and flowers your farmer husband has grown with passion, you also see the miracle of God's grace EVERYWHERE!!!
Phila Mkhize - Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 2:04:54 AM
I could not agree more with my dear colleagues (farmers). There is no better place to raise children than a farm. Aspiring farmer
Cheryl - Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 1:23:58 PM
Always wanted to be on a farm. Married a farmer (2nd marriage)worked harder than I ever had and loved every moment. When He passed away 10 years after we were married, I continued on the farm. No cattle now because my husband sold them and asked me not to buy any, so my daughter and 4 year old grandson bought goats and after 5 years, lots of work, lots of learning and more laughter than you can ever imagine we have a successful commercial meat goat operation and a blooming purebred goat operation. My grandson has an amazing rapport with the goats and loves what he does. God Bless all farmers and ranchers and everyone else whatever your passion.
Lisa - Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 2:33:42 AM
Farmers grow more than food, they grow the next generation with integrity, honesty, and a can-do attitude. You cannot duplicate what farming does for a child growing up anywhere else in the world!!! Been in farming more than out in my 53 yrs.

You may also like:

An Apple may be in your apple: the story of technology in food

Love it or hate it, technology is with us nearly every hour of every day.

9 Life Lessons Everyone Can Learn From A Farmer

Being a farmer is more than a job, it's a way of life. It's a way of life that's full of life lessons! Here are 9 life lessons everyone can learn from a farmer!

Bull Semen and Cow Beauty Pageants…

Finding the humor in bull semen and cow beauty pageants.

Bringing laughter to the table: the heifers’ party

Michele Payn shares a hilarious story and explains how to bring some levity by way of animal antics or tractor trouble to Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Translating Science Through Story

Michele Payn shares how to advocate by translating science through story. How making bread, as one example, can create a connection with consumers.

Building a longer table

Michele Payn joins us on how building a longer table will help when reaching out to consumers to translate farm to food.

How Can You Translate Farm to Food?

Michele Payn is joining us for a series on going beyond advocating to connect with consumers, a vital part of being in agriculture.

Learning to Love Summer on the Farm

Krista, the Farmer's Wifee, shares about learning to love summer on the farm.

Working off of the Farm

While it can be a challenge, it can also be a good thing. Here are some pros and cons of working off of the farm.

New Beginnings

Some thoughts on the value of new beginnings for yourself, your family and your business.