Farm Girl Problems

Farm girls live an awesome life. But it's not without incident. There are things that happen that farm girls know a little too well. Here are some of our favorite Farm Girl Problems:

Seeing peanut shells on my kitchen floor during peanut harvest because you have to taste test.

Having chicken feathers attached to everything even when you think you got them all off.

Finding corn in the washer. Soybeans in the dryer.  Hay in your bra.

Painting your nails to hide the dirt when you are going out in public.

Being in amazing shape without a gym membership.

Sweeping the kitchen floor three times in one day and STILL finding hay and mud.

Having really, really weird tan lines.

Going out of town to pick up equipment and calling it vacation.

Finding hay in your hair.

Having to stop whatever you are doing to chase cows that got out.

Working on holidays because the farm never closes.

Buying boots is a more complicated decision than buying a car.

Thinking you are getting really tan but then it's just dirt that you wash off in the shower.

Realizing all of your clothes are stained.

Always spending more money on your animals than on yourself.

Taking a 'vacation day' because it is raining.

Spending more time with your livestock than your significant other.

Redefining romantic to be a ride together in a tractor or sharing sandwiches in the truck.

Wearing men's work clothes because there aren't a lot of women's work clothes!

Sleeping in…NEVER. Forced to be a morning person.

Comments

Ms Kathy Rowe - Friday, July 24, 2015 at 11:35:15 AM
Yup, pretty much says it all. Oh, and smelling so bad that the dogs don't even want to be around you!
Jayme Jo - Friday, July 24, 2015 at 1:50:57 PM
You just described my life. I love the "forced to be a morning person."
Jennifer Scott - Friday, July 24, 2015 at 1:54:24 PM
Since I raise Angus and Charolias beef cattle, the chasing cows gets old. And I'm all for painting my nails to cover dirt!
Debbie Mack - Friday, July 24, 2015 at 9:26:37 PM
Pretty well sums it all up.
Frances Ullom - Friday, July 24, 2015 at 10:05:09 PM
you missed two one is getting your foot stuck in the mud and losing your boot the other one is hay down in your britches other wise that is my life
Roger Kovaciny - Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 1:09:47 AM
How about "Being limited to farm BOYS because all the city slickers are weaker and wimpier than you are?"
Merilee - Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 8:41:21 AM
Waking up 2.5 hours before u r expected at work so you can get chores done. Lol taking eggs, garden veggies n samples of the latest cow butchered to share w co- workers. And my favorite, using a heel grater on your hands to get off the stains!
Annabelle - Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 3:40:21 PM
That was the reason I said I would never marry a farmer I married a city boy and ended up raising our boys on a farm. It turned out all right. Will be 58 years in September .
Lauren - Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 1:24:06 PM
I actually just blogged about my permanent farmers tan a few weeks ago. Perfect! lol
Marcia - Saturday, August 1, 2015 at 10:04:45 PM
Wearing a new bra to the field and not being able to get back home till day's end.
Deanne - Saturday, August 1, 2015 at 10:49:38 PM
Or having to take a shower before going to town cause you smell like the hogs.
Chera Logsdon - Sunday, August 2, 2015 at 2:41:44 AM
The part about painting your fingernails to hide the dirt and spending more time with livestock than my husband is totally on point!! Lol but wouldn't trade it for anything.
Angela Smith - Sunday, August 2, 2015 at 5:55:46 PM
I live in the big city I was born and raised here but I wish I could find myself
a cowboy Or farmer to be with and maybe marry!!! They are hot and respectful and I guarantee alot better men than what lives in the city!!!!!
Linda - Friday, August 7, 2015 at 9:22:25 PM
Don't actually farm much, but having 3 horses to care for and their pastuer to seed and bush hog, I really get it about the weird tan lines and and painting my nails to hide the dirt. I love every minute of it.
Tammy - Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 1:38:29 PM
Angela Smith, ditto. Somebody, get me home on the farm/ranch. I miss my animals. That smell might stink, but it is the best smell ever. Nothing is cuter than the curls on new born calf. Don't ya just love it when you get cleaned up finally and the dogs come running in and have been rolling in the giant manure pile that's waiting to be spread on the field. I might even miss that.
vickie - Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 2:02:11 PM
ive always gotten the hand me down winter work clothes. Gloves w fingers that begin where mine end. Coveralls where the crotch is to the knees and stocking caps with hay stuck inside! Mud never appears on nice sunny days like in the movies either!
MaryBeth - Tuesday, August 18, 2015 at 9:37:39 PM
Love the posts! I promised myself I would never marry a farmer cuz I didn't want to get up at 5. I kept my word. I married a farmer and we got up at 3!!!
Peggsue jones - Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 6:54:43 PM
28yrs of marriage and still trying to fit that honeymoon in. I wouldnt change it for anything 💚💙💚💙
Darleen - Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 10:07:02 PM
That covered most of my years as a farmhand including having the cow's muddy tail, while milking her, smack you across the face just seconds before the cute neighbor fellow walks into the barn. Still love farming.
Cheryl - Friday, September 11, 2015 at 9:31:56 AM
I have learned so much since I started dating my farmer three years ago. .. I always loved farm life but since I became a farm hand I found out where life is the best... on the farm... and I wish for time to polish my nails to cover the dirt,and grease!
Heather - Sunday, October 25, 2015 at 7:49:31 PM
Having to get up every 3hrs to bottle feed calves,or having lunchmeat sandwich and chips for dinner because your to tired to cook!! Love being a farmer!!!
Deb - Monday, October 26, 2015 at 10:45:47 AM
Never being able to wear sandals in public because of the permanent grass stains on your feet.
Tami Jackson - Monday, October 26, 2015 at 3:59:20 PM
Chasing the cows that never get out until it gets dark! LOL lovin the farm life and my farmer!👏
mary anne hopkins - Wednesday, November 11, 2015 at 12:07:54 PM
Farming is in my blood, been doing it all my life and am married to a farmer. Would not trade this life for anything! thanks to all the ladies for all your post, it really helps even though been farming all my life, still enjoy advice along the way. out of 4 boys only one turned out to be our farmhand....oh well....love farming!!!!
Theresa Sutton - Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 4:52:04 PM
My actual farm days are over, but I still can relate and add a few.
The sound of cows chains are a lullaby, unless they are going down the road or past the bedroom window.
There really was a reason folks let me go in front of them when I stopped at the store after milking.
A tractor cap hides a multitude of sins!
Kim R - Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 7:04:51 PM
Having to explain to company why there is a set of emasculaters on the kitchen counter. AND what they are used for.
Cynthia Millis-Walker - Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 8:21:24 PM
Doing a head count to make sure all the chickens are in coop for the night. If not out with the flashlight serching for MIA's. Raising pullets in house checking on them every half hour.
Chasing cows at three in the morning admist a heavy downpoor.
Love and savor every minute of it. Wouldn't trade for anything. Life is grand on a farm.
MARLENE - Monday, March 7, 2016 at 8:11:54 AM
MISSING A CLOSE FRIENDS WEDDING BECAUSE YOU WERE CHASING THE COWS WHO THOUGHT THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD WAS A GOOD PLACE TO BE AND THEN FIXING FENCE .BUT TELL HER MY REASON WAS THE WORSE PLACE BECAUSE I FELT SHE THOUGHT I WAS LYING TO HER.
Bev - Monday, March 7, 2016 at 5:09:10 PM
Wearing your barn coat to the store not realizing the back is covered in muddy kid hoof prints and you smell like a buck.
thecrazysheeplady - Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 4:11:19 PM
Yep, and pulling on your cleanest dirty jeans/shirt/jacket/hat...
Rita trant - Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 2:57:20 PM
Going to the feed store is your comfort zone. Everybody has on dirty jeans and boots.
Carol - Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 3:05:45 PM
Spending Christmas Day under a tarp in the rain pulling baby pigs .. To save the litter
J Biele - Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 7:10:09 PM
Having your farm raised kids go to school and explain to the other kids how they helped mum birth a calf with actions. Lol.
Rachael - Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 10:38:49 PM
Having more barn jeans than good jeans!
Deb - Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 12:03:33 AM
So very true! Have had "vacation days" to pick up equipment or on a rainy day many times! The cows always seem to get out or have a calf on the day/night we have special plans!
Nikki - Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 9:39:30 PM
Calling in sick for work because you were up after midnight the night before helping birth baby goats.
Sabrina - Sunday, November 13, 2016 at 6:31:36 PM
All these are so true. I have one more. We saved a runt pig, kennel trained and then finally moved him out. He was free range. So... the kicker was calling my kids for dinner and having a 100+- pig come to the door first for his plate lol.
Shannon - Sunday, November 13, 2016 at 11:33:41 PM
I was just telling my husband the other day, I wonder how many women go braless when throwing hay :D haha love this post :)
Morgan - Monday, November 14, 2016 at 6:12:34 AM
Realizing you own 5 different pair of barn boots for different weather or different jobs. And realizing you only own one pair of "normal" shoes.

You may also like:

Shine a Spotlight on Women in Agriculture

Know a female farmer, rancher or agriculture professional who'd should be featured in a future issue?

Being a First Time Farm Girl

On a farm, the best way to learn it is by doing it. Payton tells us her tips on learning as a first time farm girl!

7 Farm Lessons I Learned the Hard Way

Caitlin shares seven farm lessons she learned the hard way! Can you relate?

Amazing Woman in Ag: Dr. Lauren Ledbetter Griffeth

Introducing a new face - Dr. Lauren. She will be joining us to provide leadership information and tips for women in agriculture based on her experience as an extension leadership specialist.

Amazing Woman in Ag: Mason

There's a new face here at Pink Tractor. Meet Mason, who is joining us for the Summer!

Celebrating Women in Ag

Today we are celebrating women in ag with some of our favorites.

Farm Girl Favorites

We share a lot of tips, stories and information with our readers. These are the farm girl favorites - the top 7 articles from the last year.

The Best Farm Girl Tips

This year, we shared a lot of farm girl tips, from the funny and silly ones to the serious and helpful ones. Here are a few of our favorite farm girl tips.

Jolene's Best Tips for Women in Ag

Start off on the right foot with some quick reminders that will give you confidence and strength in the coming months to help you be your best this year!

Amazing Woman in Ag: Elizabeth

Meet Elizabeth, a dairy farmer from North Carolina.