Sometimes Farming Isn't Pretty

As much as we love to boast about the joys of farm and rural living, we sometimes tend to push the more unfortunate parts to the back of our minds. It's a fact of life that things will make our lives a little more uncomfortable or won't go exactly how we planned on the farm, much to our dismay. Sometimes farming just isn't pretty. We asked our readers what their least favorite part about being a farmer is and here were some of their responses:

"The snot - when feathers, dust, pollen, hay, cut grass, etc., get stuck in your nose, mouth and eyes." - Chela

"The flies...I can deal with almost anything.. but those darn flies drive me crazy!!!!" - Laura

"Abscesses, scours, infected castration sites, pinkeye from foxtails..." - Mikaela

"Hay in my bra!" - Jennifer

"The 'pig mud' is not my fave! I swear the kids roll in it as much as the pigs!" - S.S.

"Watering in the winter." - Ronnie

"Falling in the mud!! Lord only knows what was there before me." - Amanda

"Getting dirt, beans or corn kernels where they don't belong!" - Amanda

"Definitely slaughter day. I can deal with the poop and the mud and chasing after escapees but slaughter day still hurts my heart even though I knew all along what the end would be." - Devy

"The passing of a beloved farm animal. All the other stuff is worth how they make our lives better." - Christina

"Getting banged up and bruised all the time" - Tamara

"The "compost" pile. Yuck." - Emily

"The lack of appreciation for what we do." - Helen

"Raking/ bailing red clover... itchy, itchy, itchy." - Angie

"Sorting cattle with a very impatient husband!!" - Lisa

"The loneliness." - Laura

"Snakes! Give me poop over snakes.....Ewwwww." - Heather

"The slaughter. My animals are pets with a purpose." - Tabitha

"When sweat gets in my eyes and it's salty and it burns....Ouch" - Mary

"Rank silage juice!! If you drive thru it and it gets on your tires the smell lasts forever!!" - Sue B.

"De-horning." - Christie

"It's the HEAT!" - Benita

"The heartache after knowing you did everything in your power to save an animal (could go for crops too) and it still wasn't enough." - Heidi

"Losing a sick animal after working so hard to save it. It still gets to me." - Kim

From losing animals that we love to smelling like pigs all the time, there are lots of parts of farming that just aren't pretty. Thankfully, the ugly parts of farming don't outweigh the love and passion we carry for agriculture and the industry as a whole.

Comments

Samantha - Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 2:45:32 PM
The mud either after the rain or snow. If I had a mudroom I probably wouldn't mind it as much. But I'd still not like it. Definitely MUD!!
Linda Stuart - Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 3:19:54 PM
As mostly cotton farmers, the ugly part to me is the cost, too much hard work for what we get back. We'd like to get more fencing so we could have more cattle. At 73, I have spent my entire life on the farm and still think it is the best place on earth to raise a family. And going to stock shows, you see some great youngsters!
mb - Friday, July 8, 2016 at 2:20:06 PM
For me it's the poison ivy/oak. And, my new nemesis Buckthorn.
Maggie - Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 9:50:09 PM
Cleaning my horse barn on hot humid days and being drenched in the ensuing sweat! Yes sometimes in my eyes. Yuck!! Drains my energy as well.
Darlene - Friday, September 23, 2016 at 9:14:02 AM
Selling your bottle baby dairy goats and saying goodbye when they get in the car with the new owners and they cry when they pull away in the car and can see u out the window I cry for days after I usually have 50 babies here at the dairy THENhearing the momma's on the dam raised ones standing by the door and looking one last time to see if their baby is coming in from the field after being sold that daythat hurts my heart worse but without the milk to make my goatmilk facial scrubs and lotion and cheeses I couldn't afford to have them zeigekase farm
Kat - Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 3:05:24 PM
I agree with everything posted! But I want to add injuries whether to an animal or one of us. Injuries just suck no matter what.
Diane Martin - Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 4:21:05 PM
The smell of the chicken runs after a heavy rain, in the summer,when it's in the 90's.
holly - Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 7:07:28 PM
Everything in the snow, frozen water or hoses is the worst
Sandy - Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 8:44:09 PM
Not having the money for a vet so do the best you can, sometimes win sometimes lose and getting older and nead help with things that use to be easy.
Amy Malta - Thursday, December 29, 2016 at 8:35:45 PM
Cleaning the sheep pens.
The smell is awful.
Also cleaning the chicken coop. Yuck!

You may also like:

Being a First Time Farm Girl

On a farm, the best way to learn it is by doing it. Payton tells us her tips on learning as a first time farm girl!

7 Farm Lessons I Learned the Hard Way

Caitlin shares seven farm lessons she learned the hard way! Can you relate?

Amazing Woman in Ag: Dr. Lauren Ledbetter Griffeth

Introducing a new face - Dr. Lauren. She will be joining us to provide leadership information and tips for women in agriculture based on her experience as an extension leadership specialist.

Lessons from a Ranch Hand

Mason shares a little about her summer as a ranch hand - along with some important lessons she learned!

Study Abroad: Learning Through Experiences

Our intern, Mason, shares her experiences studying abroad through the ag school at Murray State.

Being an Ag Major

Last week, Mason shared how she landed on her college major (agriculture). This week, she joins us to talk about being an ag major.

Luella Shares Her Dad's Legacy

Luella joins us to share a little about herself and how her dad's farming legacy influences her to this day.

Choosing a College Major

Mason joins us again to discuss the big decision for college students: Choosing a major.

Are You Ready For Farming?

A humorous and honest look at what you really need to be prepared for life on the farm.

Mondays with Mason: Choosing the Right College

Today, we are introducing a new series designed to help high school kids and their parents as they consider next steps. First up, choosing the right college.